Italian PM Giorgia Meloni postpones Cyprus visit after car incident in Modena

Italian PM Giorgia Meloni postpones Cyprus visit after car incident in Modena

Ukrinform
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has postponed her planned visit to Cyprus on May 17 after a car struck pedestrians in the city of Modena the previous day, injuring eight people.

According to Ukrinform, Cyprus Mail stated this in an article. 

An official statement said that Meloni is urgently returning to Italy and will travel to Modena together with President Sergio Mattarella.

The visit to Cyprus will be rescheduled for a later date.

Government spokesperson Konstantinos Letymbiotis said that the Cypriot government attaches particular importance to strengthening relations between Cyprus and Italy, as well as cooperation on both European and regional issues.

Read also: Car drives into group of pedestrians in Italy, four in critical condition

He also expressed Cyprus's "solidarity with the Italian government, the Italian people, and all those affected by this tragic incident."

As previously reported, eight people were injured in central Modena in northern Italy when a car drove into a group of pedestrians and crashed into a shop window.

While citing and using any materials on the Internet, links to the website ukrinform.net not lower than the first paragraph are mandatory. In addition, citing the translated materials of foreign media outlets is possible only if there is a link to the website ukrinform.net and the website of a foreign media outlet. Materials marked as "Advertisement" or with a disclaimer reading "The material has been posted in accordance with Part 3 of Article 9 of the Law of Ukraine "On Advertising" No. 270/96-VR of July 3, 1996 and the Law of Ukraine "On the Media" No. 2849-Х of March 31, 2023 and on the basis of an agreement/invoice.

Online media entity; Media identifier - R40-01421.

© 2015-2026 Ukrinform. All rights reserved.

Extended searchHide extended search
By period:
-